12:43 am - Tuesday December 12, 2017

Archive: World Subscribe to World

Mugabe ‘Under House Arrest’ Following Takeover By Army

Written by | November 16, 2017 | 0
Zimbabwe’s military has placed President Robert Mugabe under house arrest in the capital Harare, South African President Jacob Zuma says. Mr Mugabe told Mr Zuma in a phone call that he was fine, the South African leader’s office said. Troops are patrolling the capital, Harare, after they seized state TV and said they were targeting “criminals”. The move may be a bid to replace Mr Mugabe with his sacked deputy, Emmerson Mnangagwa, BBC correspondents say. Mr Mnangagwa’s dismissal last week left Mr Mugabe’s wife Grace as the president’s likely successor. Heavy gun and artillery fire could be heard in northern parts of Harare early on Wednesday. Mr Mugabe, 93, has dominated the impoverished country’s political scene since it gained independence from the

Mugabe: Liberation hero turned despot

Written by | November 16, 2017 | 0
Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe, the former political prisoner turned guerrilla leader, swept to power in 1980. By JEKESAI NJIKIZANA (AFP/File) Zimbabwe’s veteran leader Robert Mugabe once quipped that he’d rule his country until he turned 100. But, aged 93, his grip on power seems to be ebbing as tensions erupt between his loyal ZANU-PF party and the military that has helped keep him in office. First heralded as a liberator who rid the former British colony Rhodesia of white minority rule, Robert Gabriel Mugabe was soon cast in the role of a despot who crushed political dissent and ruined the national economy. The former political prisoner turned guerrilla leader swept to power in 1980 elections after a violent insurgency and economic sanctions forced the Rhodesian government

Military takes to streets in Zimbabwe but denies coup

Written by | November 16, 2017 | 0
Military vehicles took to the streets of the Zimbabwean capital and prolonged gunfire was heard near the presidential residence early Wednesday as questions mounted over Robert Mugabe’s grip on power, even as the army denied a coup in a state broadcast. Tensions between the 93-year-old leader and the military that has helped prop up his reign have intensified in recent days, with Mugabe’s ZANU-PF party on Tuesday accusing army chief General Constantino Chiwenga of “treasonable conduct”. The military’s actions have been seen as a major challenge to Mugabe, but Major General Sibusiso Moyo went on state television in the early hours of Wednesday to deny the army was targeting the increasingly frail leader. “It is not a military takeover of government,”

Zimbabwe military on streets as questions mount over Mugabe

Written by | November 16, 2017 | 0
Armoured vehicles were seen on the streets near the Zimbabwean capital Harare as questions mounted Wednesday over whether President Robert Mugabe, who has ruled since independence from Britain in 1980, still has a firm grip on power. Tensions between the 93-year-old leader and the military that has been a key buttress to his reign have intensified, and prolonged gunfire erupted near his private residence in the suburb of Borrowdale in the early hours of Wednesday, a witness told AFP. No further details were available. Mugabe’s ZANU-PF party accused army chief General Constantino Chiwenga on Tuesday of “treasonable conduct”. The public dispute has presented a major test for Mugabe, who is in increasingly frail health. Chiwenga had demanded that Mugabe stop purges of senior

Mugabe deputy had ‘designs to seize power’: state media

Written by | November 7, 2017 | 0
Emmerson Mnangagwa has been sacked as vice president by President Robert Mugabe who accused him of being “disloyal”. By Jekesai NJIKIZANA (AFP/File) Zimbabwean Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa was plotting to seize power, state media said Tuesday, the day after President Robert Mugabe sacked him in a bitter power struggle. Mnangagwa was the leading contender to succeed Mugabe, 93, but his abrupt removal appeared to clear the way for the president’s wife Grace to take over. The government-owned Chronicle newspaper published an excoriating editorial accusing Mnangagwa and his supporters of being “prepared to stampede President Mugabe from power.” “The President had warned his deputy time and again to desist from having grand designs to seize power unconstitutionally,”

7 civilians killed in car bomb in Egypt’s North Sinai

Written by | July 25, 2017 | 0
Seven civilians, including two young children, were killed by a car bomb that exploded at a security checkpoint in the Sinai Peninsula on Monday, Egypt’s army spokesman said. The military said it intercepted the vehicle at a checkpoint near the city of Arish, the capital of North Sinai province, and tried to contain the expected blast by running over the car with a tank. However, the bomb exploded after the tank had driven away and the civilians nearby were caught in the blast, according to images seen in video released by the army. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack. Four gunmen were inside the vehicle, the army said. An insurgency in Egypt’s Sinai region has gained pace since the army toppled President Mohamed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt’s oldest Islamist

Everything we know about Salman Abedi, the Manchester suicide bomber

Written by | May 24, 2017 | 0
Manchester Arena bomber Salman Abedi CREDIT: FACEBOOK The Manchester Arena suicide bomber made trips to Libya as intelligence agencies combed his connections with al-Qaeda and Islamic State in his parents’ homeland. Salman Abedi, 22, who was known to the security services, became radicalised before returning to the UK to cause carnage at a gig in the city where he was born. The son of Libyan parents, who reportedly fled their native country and sought refuge in the UK, he is thought to have come back to Britain from Libya just days before the massacre. How the bomber was identified It has emerged in US media reports that the bomber was identified by a bank card in his pocket. According to NBC News, citing a US intelligence official, members of the bomber’s family

Secretary-General Appoints Independent Panel to Assess and Enhance Effectiveness of UN-Habitat after the Adoption of the New Urban Agenda

Written by | April 13, 2017 | 0
The following announcement was made today by UN Secretary-General António Guterres: We live in the century of unprecedented urban growth. For the first time in history, over half of world’s population is living in cities. This gives special significance to the United Nations Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development (Habitat III), which was held last October 2016, in Quito, Ecuador. Participating states adopted the New Urban Agenda as a collective vision and political commitment to promote and realize sustainable urban development, and a paradigm change, rethinking how cities are planned, managed and inhabited. As part of the follow-up and review of the Habitat III outcome and in light of the New Urban Agenda and with a view to enhancing effectiveness of the United Nations

Nigeria negotiating with ‘foreign’ help for Chibok schoolgirls

Written by | April 13, 2017 | 0
Activists of the online movement #bringbackourgirls demonstrate during a march to the Presidential Villa in Abuja on January 8, 2017 to mark the 1000 days since the mass abduction of the Chibok school girls. By STRINGER (AFP/File) Kano (Nigeria) (AFP) – Nigeria is negotiating with the help of “foreign entities” for the remaining kidnapped Chibok girls held by Boko Haram Islamists, a presidential spokesman said Thursday. As the country prepares to mark the third anniversary of the mass kidnapping on Friday, Garba Shehu told the BBC in a radio interview there were ongoing negotiations to release the 195 girls believed still be being held by Boko Haram. “Talks are ongoing through other means with the help of some foreign entities to free more schoolgirls,”

AFP photographer held for 24 hours in eastern Libya

Written by | March 30, 2017 | 0
 0  AFP photographer Abdullah Doma took this picture of Libyans attending a candlelit concert marking “Earth Hour” in Benghazi on March 25, 2017, as iconic landmarks and skylines plunged into darkness around the world to raise awareness of climate change. By Abdullah DOMA (AFP/File) Tripoli (AFP) – AFP’s photographer in the Libyan city of Benghazi, Abdullah Doma, was released on Wednesday night after a 24-hour detention by the security services over his coverage of a public concert. “I’ve just been freed,” Doma said, adding that he had been questioned but had not been charged with any offence. Security services of eastern Libya raided Doma’s home on Tuesday night and told the family he was to be questioned over his photo coverage